Monday, September 17, 2007

A day of rest

Because I "work" on Sundays and Saturdays I get to have all day Monday off. It's really nice to be alone for awhile. That's one of the things that I have definitely had to adjust to being here in Pittsburgh. Back at Bluffton last year I had my own room as an RA. I think I just got a little too used to have my own space and being able to kick people out of my room if they started to annoy me. It's weird to think that I chose to get a room with two other people back at Bluffton. It's a delicate balance. When I was living alone as an RA I felt like I was missing out on some of the great college roommate things. Now I will have an overabundance of roommate. Living in here at the project for the semester has given me a little taste of what that will be like. Here's what I've learned so far:

-dirty clothes start to smell like death if left unattended for too long
-other people put random things in the refrigerator and forget about them
-no matter how much fun other people think their ringtones are, you will eventually learn to hate them
-there's never a bad time to have a dance party
-some people can magically function on a ridiculously fewer number hours of sleep than you

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have learned to take advantage of my Mondays alone.
The student ministries at my internship is finally starting up. This past Sunday was their first Sunday School time. They have their program set up way differently than my home church. Honestly it hardly feels like they have Sunday School at all. It's only about 25-30 minutes of quick bible lesson and prayer. Oh, and donuts too. It's never really Sunday School without the donuts and generic pink juice. For my first week I don't think I did very well. I think Mike was operating under the sink or swim philosophy where I was supposed to make my own presence known and introduce myself to every kid there by the end of the half hour. If this was true, then I probably sank rather than swam. It was weird for me not to be introduced by anyone to anyone. I think the kids all thought I was some creepy guy hanging around the youth room. At least it can only go uphill from here. I'm sure it's all a learning experience.

1 comment:

Kyle said...

I know exactly what you mean by the sink or swim mentality of te youth group. Thats the way I felt starting monday underground. I think it will get easier as you go along though.

Good to hear what you are thinking.