Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Life Rolls On

Quite a bit has happened since the last post, so I'll try to fit it all in. The weekend in Cincinnati with Camerata was a lot of fun. It really made me look forward to all the awkward moments with host families I can expect on tour. Don't get me wrong, the family we stayed with was really nice, but going through the same routine of trying to get to know people and asking the same questions and giving the same exact answers while trying not to do something embarassing like fart in the car or leave a dirty towel somewhere they would find offensive is the stuff that life is made of. That was two weekends ago, but this past weekend we went on Sunday morning to Berne to sing at a church. On the way there the back row of the van played Jeopardy using the fog on the windows as the gameboard and making up categories as we went. It was probably one of the most fun trips I've taken. Besides that, we experienced the other greatest part of tour: the potluck. Oh, how the Mennonites know how to potluck. I've never seen so many kinds of potatoe casseroles. Tour is going to make me fat.

This past week was Camp Week and one of my friends who used to go to Bluffton came back for a few days to recruit people to work at her camp. It was good to hang out with the old group again. It seems like I always end up being really good friends with a lot of upperclassmen who eventually decide to graduate. So what do I do, make a bunch of friends that are underclassmen. And what do they decide to do? Leave me for a semester abroad. I can't really blame them though. But life rolls on and it's all good in the end.

This coming weekend I am going to attend the Jubilee Conference in Pittsburgh. I learned about it while I was out there, and it sounded like this amazing opportunity to spend a weekend worshipping and growing in my faith. Now I'm nervous. It didn't really phase me before that I would be the only one going from Bluffton, but now I'm not so sure. I looked at pictures from last year's conference and there are a bunch with groups of people huddled around huge banners with school names on it. In my head I'm picturing me with a tiny Bluffton penant alone in the corner. Obviously it won't be like that and everyone will be friendly and open. But it will be a stretch for me to make myself get to know other people for the weekend. It's not that I'm shy. Large groups of people just make me nervous sometimes. I do know at least two people I met in Pittsburgh will be there, so in the end, it'll be all good...as long as it doesn't snow 10 inches between now and Friday.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

My oh my, what a life you have. have an awsome weekend in Pittsburgh.