Monday, March 10, 2008

More tour updates...

I almost forgot to post these last couple entries. I'm sure you're anxious to hear about Pittsburgh:

Wednesday March 5, 2008

We sang at my church in Pittsburgh today. I was sort of nervous at first just because I felt weird bringing 40 people through the church on a Wednesday afternoon and I figured that most of the other members of the choir would be uninterested in seeing the church. But, when we got there there was this great moment where I was trying to herd everyone into the sanctuary and at first they just stood in the doorway in awe of how beautiful it was. I assured them that it was ok to go in, and they all seemed like they were at least mildly interested in seeing the stained glass, or the famous organ, or the soaring architecture. We only had time to sing two songs, but it was just for the 4 or 5 staff members who were around. I think they were really impressed. It was cool to be able to show them a whole other side of me that I didn’t really get to express while I was there. This was the last trip I have planned out already to be back in Pittsburgh. Every time it is harder to leave, but I keep finding my way back somehow.
The rest of Pittsburgh was pretty cool just because I got to tell other people a little bit more about what my last semester was like. I didn’t really understand what it was about until I got there, so I think the tour of the Pittsburgh Project and the city really helped give people a better idea of what I did.
I almost forgot to talk about the concert we did in Scottdale, PA. It was my first concert being completely out of my music. I think that because of that, I was able to worship even more freely. That coupled with the fact that we are getting really good as a choir really provided for some great moments. There was one in particular where we finished a song and I could feel everyone in the room holding their breath for a good 8 seconds. And then another where we finished a song and there was a barely audible “wow” from the back row. It’s moments like those that really make the trip what it was meant to be.



Thursday March 6, 2008

Another long day. This was one of the two days on tour where we had three concerts. Added onto that, we had to be on the bus at 6 in the morning. I don’t usually find it that easy to sleep on the bus, but at 6 in the morning I think I could’ve slept anywhere. I actually curled up in my two seats as comfortably as I could manage. I fell asleep in Wooster, OH and woke up around VanWert.
Our first concert was at a Christian School in Goshen, IN. I really like singing for high school kids because there is such a wide spectrum of reactions. There are the kids who look completely bored, then at the other end of the spectrum are the music kids who either look completely awed or like they think they could do a better job. I also think I like singing for this age just because it’s not something they’re used to. I have definitely gained an appreciation for “higher” forms of music by being in this group, and I think it is neat to think that maybe some of the kids might get at least a little bit of that same appreciation in the half hour we’re there.
The second place we sang was the Associated Mennonite Biblical Seminary. The only real notable thing about the performance was the fact that the chapel where we sang was really live acoustically. After that we drove back to a church in Goshen. The other great part of tour is getting to try all the different church meals. This church ranks up there with a great soup dinner. I think it was just what I needed after too much junk food, and pizza, and greasy fast food. Before the concerts we always have devotions led by choir members, and I led last nights devotion. I told a story about an experience I had with a child who had ADHD and how a lot of times we were just like this boy. At least for me, it seems like sometimes I have a hundred things going on inside my mind, but God just wants us to “be still and know that [He] is God” (Ps. 46:10). When I looked it up, I found that the Hebrew word for “be still” can also be translated as “become weak” or “let go”. God wants us to “become weak” and “let go” of the things of the world that we hold on to so tightly and worry about so much. I thought it went well. At least it helped me to focus on the music and worship rather than on what the audience might be thinking.
Tomorrow’s Chicago. It is my first trip to the windy city and I’m pretty excited. Woot!

No comments: