Friday, September 5, 2008

Are we there yet?

Well, week two of classes is officially over with, but I'm still not sure I'm to the point where I'm fully back in the swing of things yet. I got auditions for the Sunday Night Worship Band over with, and thinking back it was probably one of the hardest decisions I've had to make during my four years here at Bluffton. There were so many factors surrounding each candidate that it was hard to keep them all straight in my head and even after we made the final decisions, I still feel uneasy because every single person who auditioned would have been absolutely perfect. But now that it's over and it's been a few days it is interesting to see how the people we didn't choose to be in the core group are finding other opportunities to get involved on campus and use their gifts. Who knew ministry would be so hard sometimes? I can definitely see why Paul listed gentleness as one of the fruits of the Spirit. I tried so hard to make sure people understood that just because we were not picking them didn't mean that they weren't gifted people in hopes that they wouldn't take offense and think less of themselves.

In other news: We finally got the couch for our room. I'm really glad because the lawn chairs weren't really cutting it any more. It was also good to see my parents (and get treated to Arby's). And now our room finally feels home-y. In fact, two nights ago there were people just hanging out watching tv in our room until 2 for not good reason. I'm not one to usually stay up too late, but it was just nice to be with people and talk.

I got my "Application for Graduation" form in the mail the other day. Great. That is going to have to happen soon. These were some good years, but I'm ready for something new. At the Hall Chaplain retreat before classes started we did a devotion on Psalm 139 which is all about how we cannot flee from God's presence. The phrase that stuck out to me the most were verses 9-10 which read: "If I take the wings of the morning and settle at the farthest limits of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me fast." Meditating on this made me think of ships sailing off into the unknown with the sun at their back. There are so many new things to do, new things to see, new things to experience this year and beyond that I am on the edge of my seat with excitement. I'm ready to "take the wings of the morning" and see what the world has to offer, fully knowing that God will be my guide.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

-good post. :-) I'm excited for you as you sail through this year.

Brooke said...

awsome, i'm excited for you. Do you ahve any ideas where you're giong on waht you're doing after graduation?