Monday, September 29, 2008

Listening

Last night was the "secret" Sunday Night Worship service I couldn't write about before. The big secret was actually that we were having a silent worship service. I had considered advertising it as such so that people could get into the right mindset, but then I decided that there was also merit to surprising people into a time of silence. The idea for the service partly sprung from the fact that I was starting to feel like I was making music the point of the worship rather than a means through which we worship God. I was so stressed about sounding good that I forgot to let God work through me. So, instead we were silent.

Don't get the wrong idea though. We didn't just sit in silence for an hour without anything happening. There was a powerpoint that led people through with questions and prompts to do things or think about things. I think one of the most powerful things we did was "sing" a few songs with our hearts rather than our voices. During the opening song, the worship band went forward and tore down the stage instead of playing leaving only the cross on stage in the end. I think it was a powerful symbol both for me as a worship leader and everyone else as worshippers.

In the end I was very pleased with the way things turned out. At one point I started to stress out again about things not going right, but then I realized that I was supposed to be meditating to the words of Psalm 62 which partly read "trust in the Lord". I just decided to let God take over instead of worrying about all the details. A lot of people have told me that they were very touched by the service.

Praise God.

Psalm 62
Truly my soul waiteth upon God: from him cometh my salvation.
He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defence; I shall not be greatly moved.
How long will ye imagine mischief against a man? ye shall be slain all of you: as a bowing wall shall ye be, and as a tottering fence.
They only consult to cast him down from his excellency: they delight in lies: they bless with their mouth, but they curse inwardly. Selah.
My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him.
He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved.
In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.
Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Sunday Night Worship was powerful and true, a good genuine time with God. Thanks

Jenna_Marie12 said...

SNW was exactly what i needed :)
thanks