Thursday, March 19, 2009

Never-ending week

It seems like every day this week has started at 8 and not ended until 12 or so hours later. I will be so happy to have this recital behind me. I had my final dress rehearsal tonight and it went pretty well. I am doing some Gregorian chant with two other guys to open up the recital and I am somewhat nervous because one of the two guys has a sinus infection but won't let himself slow down to heal. It sounded o.k. today, but it definitely was not the best part of my recital. It does make me feel really good to get done with a rehearsal and have my voice professor hand me notes she took and there aren't any on an entire set because she thought they were absolutely beautiful. Every time we do the program it does get better. It is amazing to think where my voice has come over the past few years. Who knew I'd be able to hold out a high F to end a song and make it sound good?

Rehearsals for the musical are starting to get more and more intense. The show this year is called "The Spitfire Grill" and it's a little-known musical so all of the cast is having to learn all the music from scratch. It's not like doing a big show that everyone already knows the songs to. Plus it doesn't help that the songs seem to change keys every 10 bars. I do like that the show is really character driven. I don't think I'm the best actor, but I was happy that I got the character I did because he is not really like me at all so I get to stretch my abilities. The trick now is to make him gruff without makign the audience completely hate him.

I'm looking forward to the next few days of relaxing before my recital. I'm also looking forward to becoming a worthless, pizza devouring puddle after the recital.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Hope the recital goes well. I didn't see you when I went to Bluffton over spring break, but I trust you are having a good time.